Post Partum Depression

To begin, here is a list from postpartumprogress.com - a website I have found to be very helpful:

1. Just [go for a walk/go out with your friends/have a drink] and you’ll feel all better.
2. If you just buy this book online, even though we don’t tell you what’s in it, you’ll learn the “cure” for postpartum depression.
3. In a news report on infanticide or any other child murder: She must have had postpartum depression.
4. Magazine or online article headline: 10 Easy Steps To Get Over PPD Now! (None of them will mention, of course, that getting over postpartum depression is not easy, and none of them will mention getting medical help.)
5. Women have been having babies for tens of thousands of years, and they got through new motherhood just fine. Toughen up.
6. I just finished my album/thesis/marathon/political campaign. This must be what postpartum depression feels like.
7. Maybe postpartum depression is God’s way of letting you know you don’t have enough faith. I think you should pray harder.
8. Here’s some information on postpartum depression I’m supposed to give you. You’re probably not going to get it, though, so I wouldn’t pay too much attention to it.
9. Quitting breastfeeding is selfish. The baby’s health is so much more important than yours.
10. I know breastfeeding is really important to you, but you have to quit so you can be treated for PPD.
11. This is the exact medication and dosage I took for my PPD. Just take that and you’ll be OK.
12.I would never take antidepressants. You shouldn’t need that stuff to be a mother.
13. Here’s a prescription.(No mention of side effects. No mention that it may not work. No mention of therapy. No mention of follow up appointments.)
14. You’re just mad the baby is getting all the attention.
15. PPD is just a fad. Only spoiled, Western women get it, and now that it’s “popular” on the blogs, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.
16. Can’t you see how lucky you are? You have a beautiful baby!
17.This will probably go away on it’s own, so don’t worry about it.
18. I wouldn’t talk about this with anyone. You don’t want them to think you’re crazy.
19. You don’t need to worry about your symptoms unless you’re having thoughts of harming your baby.
20. Postpartum depression isn’t real.

These are all things that I was told/ experienced in the weeks and months following Caden's birth. I can vividly remember watching an episode of "A Baby Story" and wanting to cry as the mother described the overwhelming feelings she had and how being diagnosed with PPD was a very difficult realization, but freeing in that she was able to put a face on what she was going through. As I was diagnosed with PPD- I undetsrood her completely.

I had bouts ever since Caden's birth, and with everything we went through with him- I ignored it maybe longer than I should have, chalking it up to the fact that we had been through so much, and having a child with special needs was just going to take a little extra time to adjust to. My husband was not supportive of me getting PPD help- I think that he was raised with the thinking that mental issues are all in your head- I have come to this conclusion after several other issues have come up over the years- but none the less, I made an appointment with my regular OB after a very trying week and round two of a major blow out with my husband. Round One is all on him, but Round Two was more to do with my inability to cope than there actually being a problem- and that realization scared me.

Just thinking about making the phone call made me want to cry. I didn't want the stigma, I didn't want the nurse taking the call to make a comment or ask what I had tried to do to cope. I didn't want to harm my child or myself- I was just overwhelmed beyond explanation. Dealing with my son I felt alone, like a single parent- I didn't feel like I had support, I was exhausted, everything upset me and everything was intimidating and daunting. The morning of my appointment, the doctor had an emergency delivery and surgery and my appointment was canceled. I almost took that as a sign, but I insisted on being seen by someone and was able to see the midwife on call.

She was kind and understanding and told me that getting the support of my husband was crucial- that these things bring you together or destroy you- and I feared that the latter had already happened. She told me the side effects and what to watch for and that there were different meds and doses if I couldn't tolerate them. I started them three days later. They have made all the difference. I don't get so overwhelmed by him crying, I don't feel like screaming every time my husband isn't home on time or when he reluctantly gets up to change the baby. 

I know that depression is different for everyone, and I hope when I am able to get into a better routine and find more time for myself (and actually spend time outside or in the sunshine) that I can stop taking the meds- but for now I know they work, and they help me be the best mom I can for my son. I am able to ignore all the stigma surrounding PPD and all the comments that people make. Women with PPD are not ticking time bombs that are just waiting for an excuse to microwave their children- they are overwhelmed, overworked and in need of someone that listens and understands- not someone that judges them. I have a new respect for all new mothers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just one of those days

Caden William

Intestinal-Abdominus Who- I. Hate. You